Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Warmth of Trees

I usually feel the coming of spring when I see this scenery. The amount of snow of course is completely different compared with the snow peak season. People who see this scenery may notice a thing.

When I was a kid, I had wondered why snow around trees melts. My parents taught me that trees have body temperature and, so it melts the snow around them. The answer my parents gave me was acceptable for little kids, but it was not complete explanation for me.

After I become older, I remembered the story of the body temperature of tree, and searched about it. Here is explanation I translated Japanese sentences into English.

Plants usually don’t have structure for controlling the body temperature, and their temperature would change depend on the air outside. However, there are certain spiece of plants which can develop a fever. Symplocarpus foetidus which grow wild in a cold district of Japan have the ability to maintain its temperature about 20℃. Moreover, the plants adjust the calorific value at least ±0.5℃ according to the change of temperatures…

Now, I can say the reason with confidence why the snow around trees melts is trees have body temperatures. If you meet with a disaster in a cold mountain, why don’t you hold trees?

4 comments:

Kuntry Konfession said...

oie! i didn't know that! and i love trees!...that is real good to know...thank you!

kayanon said...

thank you for your first comment at this post! (i was wating! hehe)

trees live like human!

Kuntry Konfession said...

not a lot of people know that. "trees live like human"... it's amazing how trees are used for a lot of our needs..and not a lot of people give it the thanks. kanyanon, you are a wise one.

kayanon said...

wow, i didn't expect you visit this post again!

you are right. people use trees a lot, but we cannot use them forever because they have limit. need time to sprout and grow up. if we think about it, we have to know how we use them.