Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Check Please!

When I visit restaurants in foreign country, I like to use this phrase, “Check please!” This phrase contains cool factor in short and simple words (I think). Interestingly, the same thing happens with the same meaning phrase in Japanese.

You surely would hear “Oaiso” if you visit sushi restaurant in Japan. “Oaiso” or “Oaisou” is the same meaning as “Check” in English. When you finish eating in a restaurant and want to pay, you can say “Oaiso”. “Oaiso” is written as “おあいそ” in Hiragana and “お愛想” in Kanji. “Oaiso-Onegaishimasu” is more polite expression.

“Oaiso” has a meaning of “I am sorry unamiable” in restaurant situation fundamentally when a staff gives a check to customers. Therefore, if a customer says “Oaiso!” it means “I am disgusted at this restaurant, so adjust my account soon.”

Now, “Oaiso” doesn’t contain the above meaning. People in Japan use the words when they just want to pay money in restaurants. Try “Oaiso!” if you visit Japanese restaurant or Japan.

" Japan popular blog "

6 comments:

Mark said...

I'm confused: if you were in a restaurant and said Oaiso, or Oaiso-Onegaishimasu for the bill, is it rude or not?

kayanon said...

mark>
It is not rude to say Oaiso or Oaiso-onegaishimasu. Oaiso sounds like casual, and Oaiso-Onegaishimasu is very polite way to say that. You can use whichever you like!

alexysh_2005 said...

interesting! i will try it.

kayanon said...

alexysh_2005>

Yeah, it surly works.

Anonymous said...

I like reading a post that will make men and women think.
Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

Look at my blog post - acoustic guitar a chord

Anonymous said...

Helpful info. Lucky me I dіscovered youг web ѕite bу chance, and
I'm surprised why this accident did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

My website - herbal incense blend