Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Making Japanese Rice –Sowing—

After rice seeds has put out, they are sowed on soil. Sowing rice seeds has lots of progress and hard to deal with just like the sprouting work.

Rice farmers use plastic plates, Naebako in Japanese (なえばこ in Hiragana) which has many small holes at the bottom so that water comes out from them, when they sow rice seeds.



Rice sowing is divided into 3 stage of work mainly, and the work makes 3 layers in the Naebako.

First of all, fertilizer is spread thinly on every Naebako using special tool to flatten the surface like a ruler, and then disinfectant liquid which is watered down is spread using watering can.



Secondly, rice seeds are sowed by a machine. This work can be done by hand, but it is hard to sow rice seeds equally by human hands.



Finally, soil with no fertilizer is spread quickly on the seeds, and surface must be flat again. After that, whole Naebako need to be infiltrated disinfectant liquid.



They are brought up in a greenhouse about one month till it grows about fifteen centimeter.



This is all sowing progress. It seems to be simple work, but very tough actually. People who flatten the soil have to bend the waist long time, and Naebako especially, with moisture is so heavy to convey.

In my grandfather’s farm case, there are 240 Naebako, so my family did the above work for 240 times…

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your blog! I don't remember how I found it but it's really great. I don't have an account but my e-mail is teomcdohl@gmail.com if you'd like to chat sometime. Take care and keep on posting these interesting entries!

Fabi said...

Wow.
Its really interesting to learn about rice! As well, it looks difficult and it must be hard for your grandfather to do that 240 times.

Your entries are really interesting!
Keep on writing!

Fabi

kayanon said...

No name user>
Thank you for your comment and compliment! I hope you will visit here again!

kayanon said...

Hi fabi,
I thought my posts about planting rice is too in details. Probably, some people think so, I think. However, it is good to know how rice is made not only for people who don't know about it very much but also for me. Of course, I helped my grandfather to do sowing staff, it is impossible to finish all of these staff alone...

Pierre-Yann said...

I don't think that your posts are too detailed, keep it like this.
It's very interesting for us, European people, because, expect of Italia, no other european countrie has rice fields. Therefore, most of us don't know anything about rice plantation.

Ragge said...

Yeah, very interesting as I eat rice many times a week and had no clue about the farming process. How much are you actually making? For the family only or for the national and international marked as well?
By the way, did you have a nice weekend? :-)
Cheers

kayanon said...

hi pierre-yann,
thank your for your kind comment. There are some reasons why I post about rice farming. That is for people around the world who don't know how rice is grown, and for me to record how my grandfather worked on rice. This year is the last year for my grandfather to work at rice fields since he is old to manage rice fileds...

kayanon said...

Hi ragge,
My grandfather made rice is sent to JA (Japan Agricultural Cooperatives) and that makes money. My family has never bought rice before.

Oh well, I don't think I had good last weekend since I work on weekends as well...

Kieran said...

Kayanon, thanks for your post. I live in Japan, in the Inaka and see the rice being farmed but don't know so much detail: keep up the good and detailed work.

kayanon said...

thank you for your comment, kieran!

you live in such a nice place! (matsushima, right?)

i have been there several times, and i loved the scenery very much!