Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hi Cheese!

What do you say when you take a photo? Do you say nothing? In Japan, most people say above title, “Hi cheese!” The aim of saying this is to make people look smile with “e” mouth form. I am not sure the exact reason why Japanese people use “cheese”, but several sites say it is because The Day of Photo and The Day of Cheese are the same day, June 1st in Japan. Consequently, people started to say “cheese” when they take a photo.

Moreover, there is also a popular saying. When you release the shutter, you say “Ichi tasu Ichi wa?”, and people who are taken photo answer “Ni”. “Ichi tasu Ichi wa (1+1は?)” means “One plus One is what?”, and “Ni (2)” means “Two”. This one includes the same effect with “Hi Cheese!”

In Canada, people said (or I said) “1, 2, 3” when they take photos. Besides, I remember my Korean friends in Canada used “Kimchi (Korean pickles)” instead of “1, 2, 3”. What do you say when you take a photo in your country?

17 comments:

Minty said...

In England we say Cheese also~ I think it has been said here for a long time.

Pierre-Yann said...

In France, we also say Cheese.
But I think it's less and less used.
Personally, I don't use it (in fact, I don't like to take photo of make up, not real life)

Rebelde said...

In Venezuela we say "whiskey!", i don't know if it is because it causes the same effect that saying "cheese" or just we like alcohol

kayanon said...

minty>

Oh, that's new discovery for me. So "Cheese" is most popular saying in England when you take photo?

kayanon said...

pierre-yann>

Ha, exactly. I also prefer taking photos of natural face. However, when people take something memorial photo, I do say it.

kayanon said...

rebelde>

"whiskey!" interesting! is there famous whiskey there? I will use this ^^

Rob said...

Yeah, Cheese here in US also. Who knows where it comes from. I used to say it when I was little..but then I stopped suddenly. I can also say any word without smiling if I want to, lol.

kayanon said...

rob>

do you say "smile!" as well?

Amine said...

日本で友達は(3-1は?)と言う、2(二)。
モロッコで、みんなはCheeseと言うけど、私は(ヘビーズ)と言うよ(ヘビーズはモロッコ語でパンだ: Khebiiiize) ^-^

Rob said...

Un, sometimes that is said I think.

soursop said...

yeah, i think "cheese" is a general way to take group photo...it's used everywhere i think... but indeed there are other various ways...

some of my friends will just try to make a short joke so that everyone smiles/laughs... others will just make an easy "one, two, three"

kayanon said...

amine>

こんにちは!まれに3-1って言う人もいますね。やはりどこの国でも”イー"の音を重要視しているみたいだね。(ヘビーズ=パン、覚えておきます☆)

kayanon said...

rob>

"Smile!" is sad?? Why??

kayanon said...

soursop>

Now, I know "Cheese" is not so special Japanese phrase...but I really wonder where it comes from. Mysterious phrase...

Minty said...

Hai, cheese is the most popular saying in England when taking a photo. ^^

Irene said...

As for us here in Malaysia, I really don't know. Everyone has their own version. "Cheese" is much universal. As for myself, I donn't say a thing :P Just flash my smile that's it.

kayanon said...

minty>

I see. Now I know I can use "cheese" when i take photos ^^

Irene>

Yeah, natural is the best, but it is sometimes difficult to take natural photos. Some care about carema a lot ^^