Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Express Your Feeling

People use something marks or signs to express their feeling when they write e-mail or chat on the internet. Especially, Kaomoji (Emoticon/ Smiley) started in the U.S the origin place of the Internet, and developed a lot in Japan. It can be differentiated to 2 styles in Japan case; net community style and 2 cha style. I will introduce you the former one this time.

-Basic-

Laugh.................(^^)..........(^_^).........(*^^*)

Cry.....................(ToT).........(T_T)..........(;_;)

Confuse..............(@_@)

Sleep.................. (-_-) zzz

Peace................. (^_^)V

Surprise.............(*_*).......... (゜o゜).........\(◎o◎)/

Sweat................ (^_^;

Anger................ (#゚皿゚)

Ouch................. (><)


-Move-

Memo....................._φ_(..)

Sorry/Please...........m(_ _)m

Kiss......................... (^з^)-☆Chu!!

Bye...........................(^.^)/~~~.........(;_;)/~~~

Dance......................\(^o\) (/o^)/


-Character-

Cat...................... (=^. .^=)..........=^.^=

Dog......................U・ェ・U

Draemon............ ((=^♀^=))

Miffy.................. (・x・)

Squid..................くコ:彡

Fish....................<*)) >=<

Here is question for you. What do you think this Kaomoji means? I actually didn’t know the meaning, but found them make sense a lot and really look like. Hint; don’t look at each letters.

OTL or
orz

22 comments:

Pierre-Yann said...

That's interesting. I recently read some manga with some chat on phone, but I didn't understand all these sign.

soursop said...

hahahaha.... thanks for this interesting post, kayanon! it made my day (/^o^)/ *trying to use some =p)

i like to use some of those emoticon too, but i only get to understand most of those move emoticons today through your post! i've learned something new today, yay!

OTL seems like an exhausted person kneeling on the floor, lol

Amine said...

Yeah thx for this info,
in fact i've been using many 顔文字 in my cell :D
for example:
Otaku (Geek in Japanese): φ(`д´)カキカキ
Love: (♥_♥)
Yokatta (You did great) : d(^^o)
You did bad: p(~.~)o
Playing Badminton: ( ^_^)_P ☄ q_(^_^ )
And others such as: (¤_¤) (☆^.^) <("_^)> (\/)°_°(\/)

Rob said...

Hai, I use those all the time you know.^^v

^^;
-_-;
~_~
;_;
@_@
^_~
>.<
>.<;
<.<
>.>

AAAAND Trowa! ///_^

lol

kayanon said...

pierre-yann>

I didn't notice till I heard Kaomoji is difficult to understand from my foreign friend...Once you get used to it, you will bi fine.

Anonymous said...

Japanese gals really know how to use alot of cute expressive kaomoji in their text messages. Thank you for this post with this i can communicate more effectively with my friends!

kayanon said...

soursop>

My pleasure, soursop!

Oh, you are clever! Ping-pong! OTL means "depressed feeling". When I saw this for the first time, I couldn't understand this at all...hey, by the way, i don't get the meaning of lol really. it means crying or something?

kayanon said...

amine>

Your 顔文字 is more like for 2chan which I also like because it's more realistic than net community style. I will introduce another patarn of 顔文字 later. I liked this (\/)°_°(\/)

kayanon said...

rob>

Hi, rob. I think i use more Kaomoji you posted because it is easy to write and understandable. i often use >< this one.

kayanon said...

アンド>

Exactly, japanese girls i mean teens use a lot of kaomjo or marks in cellphone which I sometimes don't understand. Yup, use these and have communication with your japanese friends!

Anonymous said...

That's very cute and interesting! ORZ is a person kneeling on the floor, like praying to you. means.. um.. In chinese, we say 五体投地. But it does not mean, it's because you did something good. Could be because he don't know what to say or do to your actions/words. That's what i know of Orz. haha ^^;

soursop said...

lol or LOL is actually not an 顔文字, but shortened chat text, "laugh out loud". it's similar to "ttyl(talk to you later)", "brb(be right back)", etc ^^

i prefer using 顔文字 indeed, it makes the conversation sounds fun and alive =D

kayanon said...

piccola>

You are answer is correct! It gives depressed feeling or listlessness. You knew this? Yeah, Orz is more realistic, haha.

i checked 五体投地 on my chinese dictionary, and understand the meaning. It is even used in Japanese, its pronunciation is different though;Go tai tou chi. Chinese is wu ti tou di, right?

kayanon said...

soursop>

Oh, I misunderstood it! It's a little embarassing i didn' know it.

Wow, that's so nice of you. Now, i am released from a maza. Thank you, soursop \\(^o^)//!!

Anonymous said...

Aloha!
try this site, you can look up any chat acronyms you dont know LMAO
http://www.netlingo.com/

Mahalo! (^0^)y

Ross said...

Thanks for posting this! I see these symbols all the time in messages from my japanese friends, but until now I have just had to make a guess as to what they meant.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interesting post! I haven't been able to check this blog for some time, but this is helpful as usual, and also fun! My Japanese friends use these as well. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Its really interesting and I like these emoticons. I also use ^^ -_- >_< and T_T very much ^^

Thanks for the interesting post!

kayanon said...

ross>

Some of them are sometimese really hard to figure out even for me...So, I often use basic ones so that everyone can understand it.

kayanon said...

greta>

Thanks Grete! Don't worry, this blog welcome you anytime!

kayanon said...

fabi>

Your welcome, fabi. Yeah, I love to use >< since looks cute.

Anonymous said...

what is this emoticon...?
(ノ*o*)ノ ~~~(/´θ`)/ あぁぁぁぁれぇぇぇぇぇ

and what is あーれー mean?