Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Friday, December 15, 2006

How Can You See Moon?

It is very honor that two towns near my hometown are once elected in top 3 of all Japan starry sky ranking. My hometown, of course is great spot to look at stars and do celestial observation. The sky here is much more clear and healthy than big cities.

By the way, how can you see moon? In Japan, people see the moon shape as rabbit making rice cake. This is old way, but when people make rice cake, they use Usu and Kine. Usu is a wooden bowl and Kine is like a big wooden hammer to mix rice up. This thing appears in Japanese old story, “Taketori Story”

I heard moon shape is different from countries. How can you see moon?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, here, the moon usually looks like a "C" or ")". But not like a rice-cake making rabbit ^^

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think the common representation of the moon in Europe is the 4th quarter (the C shape).

After seeing the rabbit on the moon and some rabbit images, I understand better your question.

In Europe, I think we only see the maria (sea in Latin). It's common to speak about the "sea" of the moon when describing it.

kayanon said...

fabi>

Haha, i know it is very Japanese way to think like that, isn't it? It is really cute if rabbit really make rice cake ^^

kayanon said...

pby>

I see. Well, I should have questioned more in details. I heard a country see the moon as crab, i don't know where the coutry is though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi kayanon! this is interesting post!

my mom once told me that during the full moon, especially 中秋月, we can see a man holding an axe is digging the ground or working at the field or something. it's old chinese belief, though. i tried looking at the moon closely using binocular that time, but i guess that story made me belief that i really saw what my mom said! haha....

ross said...

We have a very old saying here, the "man on the moon." I guess the dark areas are supposed to look like a man, but personally i have never thought it looks like that. I like the rice cake making rabbit! =)

kayanon said...

thank you for your comment, go. Chinese belief about moon sounds similar to Japanese one cuz something hold something and working on something! 中秋月is best to see and enjoy moon.

kayanon said...

ross>
I see. It's interesting to hear how different it is between countries! I also never thought moon looks like rabbit, I like the idea though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.