Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Holiday Unique To Japan

In Japan, there is a Day called '海の日’. 海の日 is one of Japanese national holidays and called “Marine Day” in English. The point of the day is to appreciate the blessing of ocean and wish prosperity of Marine country, Japan. 海の日 was just an anniversary(the day used to be called “海の記念日/Umi-no-kinembi” at the time) but turned into national holiday in 1996. 海の日 is on the third Monday in July, so this year is July 16th.



According to the description of the Ministry of Land, “Japan is the only one country in the world that has Marine day as a national holiday.” Since the 海の日 is a sort of new holiday in Japan, we have few event on the day. We may be able to celebrate this day by eating fish, going out the ocean, or even clean up the beaches. Anyway, Japanese people should thank to the ocean surrounds the country. The environment created this culture and developed people. Thanks, 海の日!

This pictures were taken at "海の公園(Umi-no-kouen)". 海の公園 is in Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture, and the beach is really close to my living place! This beach is the only one beach for swimming in Yokohama. I sometimes go there with my friend to relax. I took this pictures on April 30th...amazing.


Here is the list of Japanese national holidays.

5 comments:

Hitomi said...

Do you remember me? I'm Hitomi Sasaki, the classmate in your high school.

I'm always enjoying reading your blog. There are many interesting articles.

By the way, if you like, I would you to contact with me as a person interested in English.

You can send me e-mail by the following address.
"hitomi@sydi.jp"

Nice to see you again!
Hitomi Sasaki

kayanon said...

Hitomi>

Hey!!! Of course, I remember you, my high school mate!

I don't think it is good idea to put your e-mail address here...anyway, thanks for visiting my blog! I write you back soon!

Ragge said...

Hey Kayanon!
Hope you safe and unharmed after the earth quake.
Have a nice day!

kayanon said...

ragge>

Hi! I'm fine and there is no harm around here, yokohama, it a little quaked though. Thanks anyway!!

Ragge said...

Good to hear :-)

Hope you are having a nice summer!

Wish you a nice day!