Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Find Your Month in Japanese

I think some of you guys who are interested in Japanese and reading this website know how to write month in Japanese; 一月、二月、三月…十一月、十二月. How about the month in different way of writing? In old Japan, people showed months as Kanji like below list. Those Kanji are still used to show a month. I was born in 葉月. Which month were you born in?


January(一月)…睦月(Mutsuki) 
Reason: There are various views of 睦月, and most convincing one is to mean having a banquet with whole family.


February(二月)…如月(Kisaragi)
Reason: 如月is used in China as another name of February.


March(三月)…弥生(Yayoi)
Reason: The month that plants grow thickly.


April(四月)…卯月(Uzuki)
Reason: There are several views of 卯月. However, it is considered as the month a plant, deutzia blooms.


May(五月)…皐月(Satsuki)
Reason: The month to plant rice seedlings


June(六月)…水無月(Minazuki)
Reason: There are several views of 水無月. There are two convincing reasons. First, the month lucks of water after rainy season. Second, the month that filling water into rice field.


July(七月)…文月(Fuzuki)
Reason: This month is related to Tanabata, and people give poetry. (not certain reason found)


August(八月)…葉月(Hazuki)
Reason: The strongest reason of 葉月 is the month leaves fall down.


September(九月)…長月(Nagatsuki)
Reason: The shortened word of 夜長月(yonagatsuki/ the month nights get longer) is strong reason.


October(十月)…神無月(Kaminazuki)
Reason: The month Gods from all over Japan are out of their towns because they gather Izumotaisha in Shimane prefecture to talk about a year.


November(十一月)…霜月(Shimotsuki)
Reason: The month to have frost


December(十二月)…師走(Shiwasu)
Reason: Final month of the year

11 comments:

Piccola said...

That's interesting. :) My month is Tanabe month :D 文月~

kayanon said...

Hi piccola,

Thanks for your quick comment! So your birthday and mine are close!

PBY said...

Now I understand. It's always puzzled me that Japanese is the only language I know without proper name for month, even the French revolutionary calendar had specific names.

I was born in Uzuki.

kayanon said...

pby>

It is interesting to hear people's birth month! I somehow like the sound of Uzuki.

Bernat said...

水無月だ!
面白いですね、知りませんでした。

kayanon said...

Bernat>

Everybody here has different month! anybody new? :)

Ragge said...

Hey! My month is Fuzuki(文月)

Wish you a nice weekend!

kayanon said...

hi ragge>

You were born in Fuzuki! It just passed! how was your birthday this year? have a good weekend!

Ragge said...

Yeah, not long ago ;-) It was very nice, but the weather was crap, usually sunshine, but it was raining more than ever.

kayanon said...

ragge>

I hope you will have great year! (A bit late but) Happy Birthday!

I will have my birthday this saturday actually. I hope its gonna be great day.

Adekun said...

I like growing vegetables, my month is Satsuki.