Google
 
Web discover-jp.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sankeien Garden

You may remind of Yokohama as a metropolitan and port city. That’s of course true, but there is still tranquil and sophisticated garden there.



Sankeien Garden(三渓園) is located in Honmoku, 35 minutes far from Yokohama station. It is constructed with 17 historical buildings including 10 important cultural properties and spread-out Japanese garden. It covers an area of 175,000㎡. Sankeien is a residence of Mr.Sankei Hara originally who made his fortune by raw silk trading. He dismantled historic buildings from Kyoto and Kamakura, and reconstructed them there Sankeien is. Then he opened to the public in 1906 as “Sankeien”





There were many impressive old buildings, but I want to introduce one called Gasshou-zukuri(合掌造). To begin with, Gasshou-zukuri is a kind of houses with a steeply pitched roof. The reason why this type of houses is called comes from its shape, Gasshou. When Japanese pray something in front god, they join their hands, and that is called Gasshou. Therefore, that kind of houses is called Gasshou similar to the steep roof.



This Gasshou-zukuri was brought over from the Hida-Shirakawagou, Gifu prefecture and reassembled Sankeien. You can explore the inside, and see old tools in Hida district.





Sankeien opens 9:00-17:00. Adult is charged 500 yen and child is 200 yen. It specified as Japanese scenic spot in January 2007. I came to Sankeien for the first time, but I would like to visit here sometimes to see the changing of the view with flowers and leaves. You can still enjoy Japanese garden like Kyoto here, at Sankeien.




9 comments:

x said...

I remember seeing a building similar to the second picture you posted in Miyajima when I traveled there.

Similar in building structure but it was orange. I remember going to Kyoto for a day, but I stayed in the city most of the time.

sgfriends said...

Nice staffs i enjoy reading your blog muak!

PBY said...

Nice garden with interesting buildings.

The last photo with the bamboo tree is very nice. How tall are these bamboo?

アミン said...

本当にすげー。
久しぶりだね。I hope everything is doing great there.
気をつけてね。
モロッコから

Mike said...

Hello from New York! I love your pictures. If you like to be listed on any of my blogrolls just email me and let me know. Mike

Chirs said...

Hello from Cambridge, England! I really do love the Japanese architure styles which you photos clealry do justice to.

Jenn said...

Beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing!

Jenn
www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Anonymous said...

Hі, I do think this is а great web site.
І stumbledupon it I may revisit уet again sinсe i hаve book-marked іt.
Money аnd fгeеdom is the
best wаy to change, may уou be rich аnd continue to help οtheгs.



Also νiѕit my sitе ... losing weight after 50 with pilates

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Thiѕ blog post coulԁn’t be wrіtten any betteг!

Looking at this articlе reminds me of my prеvious roommаte!
He continually κеρt talκing about this.
ӏ’ll forward this artiсlе to him.
Ρгetty sure he will have a vеrу gοod reaԁ.
Many thаnκs fоr sharing!

My blog; organic potting soil